CANNABIS. BACON. BANANA. FUDGE. Four firm favourites of any self-proclaimed stoned citizen. Anything with cannabis is a given. As for the bacon, you can do so much with it. From bacon shot glasses to bacon jam, the internet is littered with unusual porky treats for stoners. The same can be said about bananas. Take this banana soup for instance. As for fudge, well, the possibilities are endless and this cannabis-infused bacon and banana fudge recipe serves as proof!
Four Fun Fudge Facts
Here are some interesting fudge facts to nudge on:
ONE: The Americans claim fudge as their invention and say the popular confectionery dates back to the late 1880s when Emelyn Battersby Hartridge, a student at Vassar College in New York, wrote that a schoolmate’s cousin had made fudge in Baltimore and sold it for 40 cents a pound. She obtained the recipe, which consisted of four ingredients – sugar, cream, unsweetened chocolate and butter, and made 15 kilograms of it for a university auction.
Word of the sweet treat spread to other women’s colleges and different versions of the original recipe appeared with added ingredients such as marshmallows, molasses and vanilla extract.
Some think the fudge recipe was, in fact, copied from the Scots who were making a similar confectionery called “tablet” in the early 18th century and which consisted of sugar, condensed milk and butter.
TWO: The record for the largest slab of fudge in the world weighed over 2 600 kilograms and was crafted at the Northwest Fudge Factory in Ontario, Canada in 2010. Preparation took a week and contained vanilla, chocolate and maple flavours.
THREE: Mackinac Island, a tiny 9,8km² island in Michigan in the US, considers itself the fudge capital of the world with 14 fudge shops in the town with the oldest dating back to 1887. The island churns out over 4 535kgs of fudge daily during peak season and fudge makers ship in about 10 tons of sugar and 10 tons of butter to create and craft their products. Festivalgoers are referred to as “fudgies”.
FOUR: Mamie Eisenhower, the wife of the 34th US President, Ike Eisenhower, was a huge fudge fan and even crafted her own recipe, Mamie’s Million-Dollar Fudge, which included chopped nuts and marshmallows.
Cannabis-Infused Bacon And Banana Fudge
Course: EatCuisine: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Heavenly blocks of banana and bacon fudge infused with cannabis that takes only 10 minutes to prepare.
450g caster sugar
400ml double cream
1 tbsp glucose syrup
1 tbsp mashed banana
2 rashers streaky bacon, grilled until crispy then shredded
- Line a 19 x 9 x 6cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- Tip the sugar, cream, butter and glucose syrup into a medium saucepan and heat to dissolve the sugar and melt the butter, stirring constantly.
- Once dissolved, increase the heat and bring the syrup to a steady boil. Keep bubbling, stirring occasionally to stop the sugar from catching, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (whereby a teaspoon of hot syrup is dropped into a bowl of very cold water and forms a soft ball).
- Remove the pan from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Stir in a good pinch of salt, then beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until the fudge thickens and loses its glossy shine.
- Stir in the mashed banana then quickly pour the fudge into the prepared tin, banging the tin gently on the countertop to smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon over the and leave to cool down overnight. (Don’t put it in the fridge as it will become sticky and won’t set properly.) Cut into bite-sized pieces.